Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Price of Vanity

So. This is a cautionary tale. It's about what happens when you let your 10 year old daughter buy fake nails. Fake nails that require nail glue in order to adhere. "Nail glue" being a marketing cover for what is, in fact, Super Glue.

This morning, Bethany, Sebastian, and I sat at the table working on our papier-mâché. Dorian was playing happily in the living room right by the table. We finish up with our crafting and I went to wash my hands in the kitchen. Meanwhile, Dorian comes strolling into the kitchen all nonchalant. He kind of just stood around behind me so I turned around and looked down at him and...oh, hey, what's that you have, Dorian? Oh, it's nothing, it's just A BOTTLE OF SUPER GLUE!!!!!!!!! With the lid off!!!! Yes. Dorian had dumped most of the bottle out on his hands. Both hands were completely covered in Super Glue and his thumb, index finger, and middle finger were stuck together. On both hands. His hands looked like some sort of crazy hybrid of a regular, soft, squishy, fat, cute baby hand and a crusty old lobster claw. So, what did I do? I immediately searched the good old internet for a solution. I find this website and it gives 2 fixes. Either nail polish remover or warm soapy water. I go wake Justin up, fill him in, agree that Bethany is forever and eternally banned from fake nails and glue, and then hurry to the store to get some nail polish remover. Upon my return, Justin had managed to pry the baby's fingers apart.

Here's what they looked like at that stage:



Wanna see closer up? Here you go:



So then we got down to the business of trying to get the glue off of his hands. Yeah, the nail polish remover didn't work. At all. So we ended up sitting the baby in the kitchen sink in some warm soapy water. Once we got him in there, we realized he also had Super Glue on his leg, stomach, and both arms. So, anyway, we (we meaning mostly me because Justin's fingernails are practically nonexistent and he couldn't scrape and peel) peeled off every last bit of that freaking glue. It took roughly 45 minutes to an hour. The bottoms of Dorian's feet were crazy wrinkly by the time we finished. Also, he managed to get some on the kitchen floor so Bethany and I each had a flip-flop glued to the floor.

So what's the moral of the story? Never let Bethany have nail glue, for one. For two, trying to keep a baby from crying while you're attempting to peel super glue off of multiple body parts is really really hard. Which brings us back to point number one. Never let Bethany have nail glue.

3 comments:

Phoebe said...

Oooh, poor baby. You should probably take him to the doctor, too. In Bethany's defense, she couldn't know how dangerous that stuff was--when did they stop using the stickers for fake nails?

T.Allen said...

I'd love to hear Sebastian's rendition of this story...his creative spin would give me legitimate reason to find the whole thing funny. I know it totally isn't but from one parent to another we've all experienced the glue, sharpie, hair pomade,hair cut, lipstick, nail polish and/or pet poop debacle.

Mequet said...

It actually was funny anyway. Once I realized that he wasn't gonna be flayed alive when we peeled off the Super Glue. We had a Sharpie incident in the not too distant past also. That time, Bethany decided to draw her name repeatedly (and very largely) on an antique school desk that she had in her room.