Monday, September 1, 2008

Weight Updates and a Recipe

So, today was my bi-weekly weigh in! I've lost another 5 lbs. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means 16 lbs lost so far! What else is significant about this week's weigh in? I'm now officially back to my pre-pregnancy weight!!! That means this is my lowest weight in over 2 years. Go me!!!

Now, on to the recipe. I found a recipe for Asian Chicken Salad on the interwebs but it was definitely not healthy at 19g of fat per serving. So, I changed some things around, including some of the amounts of the seasonings and stuff. So, here's the recipe:

Salad Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup shredded carrots (I get the ones that are already shredded at the store)
2 green onions, chopped

Dressing Ingredients:
1/4 cup of light sour cream
1/4 cup of greek yogurt-plain
1/4 cup of chicken broth
2 inch piece of ginger, grated
1 Tbs dried cilantro
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 tsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
salt and pepper

Optional:
2 Tbs sesame seeds, toasted
shredded cabbage or romaine lettuce
wheat pitas

I baked our chicken breasts after seasoning them with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but you could always saute them if you wanted. So, you cut the chicken into strips or shred it, whichever you prefer. Toss the chicken with the green onions and shredded carrots and set aside. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and toss together with the chicken mixture. Note: you may not need all of the dressing, so don't dump it all in at once. I served mine with shredded cabbage in a pita, but you could substitute romaine lettuce if you don't care for cabbage. You could also serve the chicken mixture on a bed of cabbage or lettuce or just mix the cabbage/lettuce in with the chicken mixture.

This salad is SO good. It hits all the right flavor notes. A little sweetness from the carrots, a little bite from the chili sauce and ginger, saltiness from the soy sauce and chicken broth, nuttiness from the sesame oil and sesame seeds. All the textures work well together too. I like it best with some cabbage in a pita. The romaine just doesn't work as well. Here's how it looks:



Till next time!!!

1 comment:

T.Allen said...

Congrats on your weight loss! I start walking again today...let's see how long before I put it off. Consistency and I are not friends, but my new found weight gain and I are enemies...the lesser of the two evils shall prevail.