Now, on to my commentary on the debate. Several things I took note of.
1) McCain refused to look at Obama-throughout the entire debate. Even when they shook hands, McCain wouldnt look at him. Obama tried numerous times to directly engage McCain, tried to make eye contact, and McCain would have none of it. He wouldn't even look in Obama's direction. This seemed extremely discourteous to me. It's just plain rude.
2) Obama made it clear that he has an excellent grasp of foreign policy, regardless of his supposed inexperience.
3) Obama tried to find common ground with McCain. Several times he said "John and I agree on this point" or "I agree with John on that, but here's where we differ". For McCain, who's supposed to be such a "maverick" and who's supposed to be the one who can "reach across the aisle", he sure did manage to look antagonistic as all get out and reluctant to agree on even the smallest point.
4) Every time Obama talked, McCain was smirking, huffing and puffing, scoffing, etc. He just made a point of making rude noises and faces while Obama was speaking. In contrast, the only time Obama interrupted McCain is when McCain was making a statement that was patently false (which happened quite a few times). And when that happened, Obama would cut in to say "that's just not true John". Then, when McCain was finished talking, Obama would rebut McCain's untrue statement.
Here's a video compilation of all of McCain's smirky rudeness.
So, in summation, I thought that Obama came off very well. I think that he looked knowledgeable, diplomatic, firm, and very calm and collected. I think McCain looked angry, flustered, and antagonistic. I read this article on the dailyKos yesterday and it really touched me. It emphasized one of the things I really like about Obama. He's just a good man. So, here it goes:
An Unsung Moment of the Debate
(the author's foreword)I am writing to share what was for me, the most quietly inspiring moment of the the debate last night, and why, along with the obvious policy positions, why Senator Obama is my candidate. There were plenty of points, very important points made and scored by Senator Obama. All the blogs have them, and they were significant and clear positions articulated by Senator Obama, detailing why he is the candidate to lead us forward.
But the moment that made me feel like this man is more than a politician, more than a candidate, came right in the middle of this debate when Senator McCain was struggling to say the name Ahmadinejad.
(the main text)
After waiting for what has felt like an eternity for this debate to occur, I watched every second on the edge of my seat, on an emotional roller coaster. I was sitting there cheering for points scored (I'm a sports addict, it's just how I approach situations like this, it is after all a competition). And there were plenty of points, very important points made and scored by Senator Obama. All the blogs have them, and they were wonderful. After the debate's conclusion, I checked some blogs and some talking heads.
And then I watched the replay of the debate to digest the whole thing. To think rather than emote my way through the responses. And it was in watching the replay that I picked up my absolute favorite unsung moment of the debate.
It came when Senator McCain was stumbling with Ahmadinejad's name. He was stumbling hard, almost unable to get the name or any semblance of it pronounced. Very quietly, but audibly Senator Obama can be heard saying something. In the first viewing, I knew he had said something there, but was unable to decipher exactly what he had said. In listening to the replay it's easy to hear his comment.
He quietly acknowledged to Senator McCain "That's a tough one." When I heard his remark, his gracious nod to the Senator's struggle to pronounce a very difficult name, his compassion for the man, I choked up. It humbled me. It made me briefly look inward, and feel lesser for originally maybe hoping that it was some cutting barb. And it showed him as a man greater than politics, greater for inspiring empathy and compassion for a fellow man.
Senator McCain's demeaning, belittling style in the debate has drawn criticism. Rightly so in my opinion. Some has been said of Senator Obama's gracious and respectful style, some even criticizing his style for not being more vicious, more attacking. But to me, the real measure of the man, not his "style", but who he is, came in that comment.
It was a very quiet statement. But what it said about Barack Obama is loud and clear.
This man is not only a great leader, he is a very good man.
And here's video of the moment she's talking about.
Also, yes, Obama is my candidate. I believe in him wholeheartedly, with every fiber of my being. Of course that will tend to color my perspective of his performance in the debate. So, here are some polls and surveys taken following the debate.
A CNN poll:
Who Did the Best Job In the Debate?
Obama 51%
McCain 38%
Who Would Better Handle Economy?
Obama 58%
McCain 37%
Who Would Better Handle Iraq?
Obama 52%
McCain 47%
Now, of course most Republicans think McCain won, while most Democrats think Obama won. What's important are the independent/moderate/swing voters. Here's some info regarding that:
Independents in the MediaCurves focus group "gave the debate to Obama 61-39. They also think he won every individual segment. Republicans gave the debate to McCain 90-10, Democrats to Obama 93-7."
Here's some video of a FOX News focus group, made up entirely of undecided voters:
Now, in that last video, you can see what I meant by McCain never even looking in Obama's direction. Obama's trying to talk directly to him, has his body angled towards him and is looking at him, and McCain won't even turn his head.
So, that's all for today! Like I said, I hope I'm not bringing you guys down with all my serious talk, but these are things that I have to say and as I said before, this is my platform for doing so. I hope y'all understand!

2 comments:
(Yes! I watched) Debates-no matter who is debating or what the debate is about, make me giddy. A dialogue duel, how exciting.
I noticed the grimacing and lack of eye contact you mention, but there was so much twitching I thought perhaps he (McCain) was nervous or has some kind of condition. (I'm being earnest.) I could feel my temple throb a few times when his rhetoric was laden with condescension, the first time I felt it was when he made the comment (paraphrasing a bit) that Senator Obama is confused or otherwise unsure of the meaning of strategy versus tactic. I felt it was a dig. Respectfully, if you feel someone is toying with semantics you should ask, "What does XYZ mean to you...let's make sure we are on the same page here..." And, yes I'm gonna say it- McCain didn't give him that (hard to tell if there was in fact any confusion because I only saw the debate once in real time) because he wanted a moment-any moment to play Obama and have him look like he didn't know what he was talking about. I'm sure if you ask others they may think he didn't know what he was talking about.
I missed Obama's random act of kindness, so I'm glad I caught that here. It does say something about his character because I, in all of my self proclaimed progressive humanitarian glory would have murmured, "haha asshole".
I know how much this election means to you and so many other faithful supporters and I do hope the best candidate wins. Based on what I saw (and being as apolitical as I am this is as honest as it gets) McCain did surprise me. I know the old guy is not an idiot, but he is just Machiavellian enough to make his bullshit sound good to those looking for a McCain song to dance to. Obama on the other hand, has been so good the whole time that he needs to eek out a bit more at this stage of the game. Kinda like the stage of the marathon where you get extra ugly, knees wobbling, tongue hanging out of your head and your focus is only on that finish tape. Well that.
Don't apologize- keep telling us!!! You articulate it so much better than I could- please keep it up. I didn't catch that very kind comment either, but I teared up when I read it here. Kindness is very important to me- so even if my mind wasn't already made up, that might have done it.
Post a Comment