Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Have A Dream....

So, today is the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's momentous I Have A Dream speech. The words he spoke are as powerful today as they were in 1963. I watched his speech just now and it made me cry as if it were given yesterday. Our country has made so many changes for the better since that day 45 years ago. It's one of our nation's greatest shames that such a speech was ever necessary. It's also an American tragedy that Dr. King's life, such a beautiful and selfless life, was cut short by the hatred of the very kind of person that he was trying so hard to change. It's due to the struggle of Dr. King and hundreds of thousands of men and women like him that we are able to witness history again today. Today, Barack Obama will give his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention. Regardless of your political affiliations or beliefs, I hope that we can all revel together in this most historic of occasions. For the first time in the history of our country, an African American man has been nominated to run for the highest office in the land. Now, our country has many shameful secrets in its past and even its present. However, I really feel as if our nation is going a long way towards redeeming the hope and promise that it was built on when our founding fathers committed those pivotal words to paper when creating our Constitution.....We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Happy Thursday everyone!!




If you don't have time to watch this longer video, please do yourself a favor and watch the short video below.



And no, I'm not stumping for Obama (although I do love him!). I just happen to think that we can all be proud of the fact that his candidacy is even possible in our country today.

1 comment:

T.Allen said...

What a great post! I remember learning about MLK, Jr. and how choked up my grandmother became teaching me about his mission. My grandmother turned 83 this year and she is just as smitten with Obama as she was with MLK, Jr. Political affiliations aside anyone who engages such an enormous and diverse group of people by inspiring hope and inciting change is a good egg.