Sunday, July 20, 2008

A toast....

to seeing amazing movies that you wouldn't mind watching again right after watching it the first time. Ok, so we went to see The Dark Knight last night and whoa. It was AMAZING. This may be the first time that I've seen a movie that lives up to every bit of the hype. First off, the cast is unbelievable. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Heath Ledger.....you get where I'm going with this. Secondly, the action scenes were thrilling without being ridiculous. Thirdly, Heath Ledger's rendition of The Joker was impeccable. Seriously, if I hadn't know it was Heath Ledger under the makeup, I would have been really hard pressed to name the actor playing him. He literally became that character. He creeped me out!!! He was disgusting, scary, evil, yet somehow still likeable, if for no other reason than that he was such a purely diabolical villain. No redeeming qualities, no sad little boy behind the malice, no rhyme or reason behind his insanity. Just 100% villain. I think that he is completely deserving of a posthumous Oscar based on his performance. It makes me even sadder about his death than I was before. The ability and potential that he showed in this film just make it all the more tragic that he died at such a young age. This performance really demonstrated where he could have gone in his career. And Christian Bale shows once again that he is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood. He delivers waaay beyond any other actor that's taken on the role of Batman. He portrays perfectly the kind of dark, tortured superhero and it's definitely lacking the corny aspect that's present in most of the other superhero movies (think SpiderMan, The Hulk, X-Men, etc). So, to wrap it up, go see The Dark Knight!!!! It's so worth it!!! Also, I have to add that one of the trailers that came on before the movie was for a movie called Terminator Salvation which is, you guessed it, another film in the Terminator franchise. However, what's different about this one? Christian Bale stars as the grown up John Connor!!!!!!! Say what????!!!! Yes, you read that right. If he does for the Terminator franchise what he's done for the Batman franchise, prepare for a dose of awesome.

1 comment:

T.Allen said...

Well, this is certainly refreshing since Joe's birthday is Monday and it is highly likely that I'll unwillingly leave the comforts of home to sit in a seat previously occupied by many an ass, in the overcrowded dark den of pubescent iniquities that is the Harkin's movie theatre. At least I have Heath Ledger and Christian Bale to look forward to! I'm a film snob...way snobby too, but being that Favorite Guy has lost his hair and all other remnants of his youth I shall make this one great sacrifice and treat him to a movie and maybe some gross and inappropriate french kissing!